ViPR 2.1 - Which compute stacks integrate with ViPR?
Table of Contents
ViPR integration with VMware and Microsoft applications provides the following benefits:
- Streamlines the interaction between data center administrators and server/virtual infrastructure administrators to increase operational efficiency.
- Allows the ViPR administrators to define the storage policies and boundaries and then delegate authority to the server/virtual infrastructure administrators to self-manage their storage.
- Provides the server/virtual infrastructure administrators the ability to do this self-management from their native tools (VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM).
ViPR has a built-in storage provider for VMware vCenter and installable components that allow ViPR data and resources to be managed and monitored through the following VMware and Microsoft applications.
EMC ViPR Storage Provider for VMware vCenter
The ViPR Storage Provider for VMware vCenter integrates ViPR with the vCenter Server and allows vCenter administrators to view ViPR virtual pools and use them to select the appropriate storage when creating new virtual machines. It also reports events and alarms originating from ViPR.
Refer to the EMC ViPR Storage Provider for VMware vCenter Server Configuration Guide for more information.
EMC ViPR Plug-in for VMware vCenter Orchestrator
The EMC plug-in for vCenter Orchestrator provides an orchestration interface to the ViPR software platform.
The ViPR plug-in has pre-packaged workflows which consist of both building block workflows providing more granular operations, and higher level workflows to carry out common activities such as provisioning storage for an entire cluster.
The ViPR plug-in must be installed and configured from the vCenter Orchestrator Configuration interface. Once it is installed, the functionality provided with the ViPR plug-in can be invoked through:
- vCenter Orchestrator client, web client, or REST API
- VMware vSphere Web Client
- VMware vCloud Automation Center with the EMC ViPR Enablement Kit for vCloud Automation Center. Refer to the White Paper to Integrate EMC ViPR and VMware vCloud Automation Center for complete details.
Refer to the EMC ViPR Plug-in for VMware vCenter Orchestrator Installation and Configuration Guide and the workflow documentation, which can be generated from vCenter Orchestrator, for further information.
EMC ViPR Analytics Pack for VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite
The EMC ViPR Analytics Pack for VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite is designed to:
- Import ViPR inventory, metering, and event data to VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite.
- Provide pre-configured dashboards for troubleshooting issues in ViPR.
- Provide a collection of volume, storage port, storage system, and virtual pool data for computing key resource status scores used in ViPR.
- Present dashboard views that summarize resource details, the behavior of individual metrics, and ViPR event alerts.
- Improve the health scores of ViPR resources by utilizing performance data from VNX/VMAX adapters.
Refer to the EMC ViPR Analytics Pack for VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite Installation and Configuration Guide for more information.
EMC ViPR VSI for VMware vSphere Web Client version 6.3
EMC VSI allows you to easily provision and manage ViPR storage for ESX/ESXi hosts. VSI is an architecture that enables the features and functionality of ViPR storage. Tasks that you can perform with VSI include storage provisioning, storage mapping, and viewing information such as capacity utilization. VSI interfaces within the vCenter to access ViPR storage.
Refer to the EMC VSI for VMware vSphere Web Client Version 6.3 Product Guide for more information.
EMC ViPR Add-in for Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM)
The EMC ViPR Add-in for Microsoft SCVMM integrates prepackaged services with SCVMM for allocating and managing ViPR storage with the SCVMM hypervisors and hosts through the System Center Virtual Machine Manager console (VMM console).
The prepackaged services allow you to perform the following functions on ViPR storage:
- Provision a volume for a cluster.
- Expand a volume for a cluster.
- Delete a volume.
- Create pass-through disks.
- Expand a pass-through disk.
Refer to the EMC ViPR Add-in for Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager Installation and Configuration Guide and the EMC ViPR Add-in for Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager Online Help for more information.Back to Top