ViPR 2.1 - Data Mobility: Change the ViPR Virtual Pool in a VPLEX Environment
Table of Contents
Before you begin
This operation requires the System Administrator role in ViPR.
- Select Service Catalog.
- Select the project to which the volume belongs.
- Select the volume to be moved, or changed.
- Select the target virtual pool.
- Select Order.
Change virtual pool to create a new VPLEX virtual volume
Use the Change Virtual Pool service to import a block storage volume from ViPR to create a new VPLEX virtual volume.
- Storage volume B is on VMAX B array and part of Testing virtual pool.
- Metro mission critical virtual pool is associated with VPLEX A.
- Storage volume B, and VPLEX A, have no association.
- Storage volume B is then moved to the Metro Mission Critical virtual pool, which is associated to VPLEX A.
- VPLEX local virtual volume B is then created from the backend Storage volume B.
If creating a VPLEX distributed virtual volume from block storage, the VPLEX local virtual volume is created from the selected virtual pool. Then a new HA backend storage volume is created, and attached as a mirror to the VPLEX local virtual volume and the distributed VPLEX volume is created. The data from the backend storage for the VPLEX local virtual volume is then copied to the HA backend volume to ensure the two storage volumes are synchronized.
Change the VPLEX virtual volume remote protection
Use the Change Virtual Pools service to change the remote protection of a VPLEX virtual volume from local to distributed.
When the Virtual Pool in a VPLEX environment is changed from local to remote, a new HA backend storage volume is created, and attached as a mirror to the VPLEX local virtual volume. The data from the backend storage for the VPLEX local virtual volume is then copied to the HA backend volume to ensure the two storage volumes are synchronized.
In the initial setup, VPLEX (local) virtual volume A is associated with Local Mission Critical virtual pool. Its backend storage is volume A on VMAX array A.1 as demonstrated in the following figure.
- Backend (HA) volume Z is created in Virtual Array Z.
- The Backend (HA) volume Z in Virtual Array Z is attached as a mirror to the VPLEX virtual volume A in Virtual Array A , which changes the remote protection of VPLEX virtual volume A from a local to distributed.
Change the backend storage volume for a VPLEX virtual volume
Use the Change Virtual Array service to change the backend storage of a VPLEX virtual volume to meet new configuration requirements such as, such as storage system type, disk type, or protocols.
- Backend Storage volume B is created on VNX A, and associated with VPLEX virtual volume A.
- Storage volume A on VMAX A is deleted.
Related ArticlesBack to Top
For information on the VPLEX versions supported by ViPR 2.1, refer to the EMC ViPR Support Matrix.Back to Top