Data Mobility: Change the ViPR Virtual Array in a VPLEX Environment
Table of Contents
- Move a VPLEX virtual volume from one VPLEX cluster to another.
- Reassign the VPLEX virtual volume's ViPR virtual array to a different virtual array.
- Change the back end physical storage volume on which VPLEX virtual volume is based to another physical storage volume assigned to the new virtual array.
- Move the data on the original physical storage volume to the new storage volume.
EMC ViPR version
This article pertains to ViPR version 1.1 and later.
Before you begin
- This operation requires the System Administrator role in ViPR.
- This service is only supported in a VPLEX Metro configuration, on local virtual volumes that have not been exported to a host.
- The new block storage volume is created from the same virtual pool as the original block storage volume. Therefore the new virtual array being chosen must be configured with the same virtual pool as the original virtual array that was used for the VPLEX virtual volume.
- Select .
- Select the project to which the volume belongs.
- Select the volume to move.
- Select the target virtual array; the virtual array to which the volume will be moved.
- The VPLEX is configured with Cluster 1 on Virtual Array A, and Cluster 2 on Virtual Array Z.
- The back end storage for VPLEX Virtual Volume A, on Cluster 1 is configured from VMAX A.2, which is part of Virtual Array A.
In the next image the virtual array for VPLEX Virtual Volume A is changed to Virtual Array Z.
- A new back end storage volume, from the same virtual pool, is configured for VPLEX Virtual Volume A on VMAX Z.2 on Virtual Array Z.
- The data from the VMAX A.2 back end volume is migrated to the new back end volume on VMAX Z.2 using VPLEX local device migration, resulting in VPLEX Virtual Volume A being moved to Cluster 2 in Virtual Array Z.
- The VMAX A.2 back end volume is then unexported from VPLEX Cluster 1 and deleted.