Upgrade to EMC ViPR 2.0
Table of Contents
- ViPR Services are disabled
- ViPR Services data are in non-filesystem buckets only (that is, buckets of the type Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, or EMC Atmos with object ID).
Prepare for the ViPR virtual appliance to be unavailable for provisioning operations for about 5 minutes, and unavailable for system management operations for approximately 30 minutes.Back to Top
Before you begin
This procedure does not back up data services VMs. The backups made in this procedure, if they need to be restored due to an upgrade problem, can cause data loss to data services nodes. However the backups can be used to salvage Controller VMs.
In the unlikely event that there is a need to revert to a snapshot, keep in mind that the ViPR database will be at the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. Reverting to the snapshot will require less manual cleanup if no provision was been done since snapshot was taken. Because resources on the array do not get synced up automatically, any resource created or deleted since the snapshot made will be out of sync between the ViPR database and the arrays, and may need to be cleaned up manually, or recreated.
This operation requires the System Administrator role in ViPR and root access to the ViPR Controller VMs.
- From the ViPR UI, shutdown all VMs ().
- Use vSphere Client to take a snapshot of each Controller VM. Do not snapshot the virtual machine's memory.
- When the snapshots are complete, power up the ViPR Controller vApp.
- In the ViPR UI, look at the ViPR virtual appliance state in
When the state is Stable, you can proceed with the upgrade.
Before you begin
- This operation requires the System Administrator role in ViPR.
- Refer to the pre-upgrade planning steps above.
- Configure the upgrade repository, including the credentials for accessing it, on the page of the ViPR UI.
- If your site cannot access the EMC repository, an alternative method of upgrade, for dark sites, is described in Upgrading EMC ViPR from an internal location.
- Verify that the ViPR virtual appliance status is Stable ( ).
- In Admin mode, select .
- Select an available
ViPR version and
The downloaded software is stored on the VM and can be installed at anytime.
- In the Software Versions list, click
Install next to the version that you want to upgrade to.
A rolling upgrade is performed on the ViPR VMs.The System Maintenance page opens while installation is in progess, and shows you the current state of the upgrade process.Wait for the system state to be Stable before making provisioning or data requests.
The list of discovered unmanaged file systems will be out of date after upgrade. Order theservice on all storage systems after upgrade.
- A ViPR 1.x license for Controller will work in ViPR 2.0, but if the ViPR 1.x license includes data services and you are deploying data services in ViPR 2.0, you should upload ViPR 2.0 licenses.
Modified services are always retained on upgrade, but to obtain new services, and original versions of modified services, go to Update Catalog., and click