ViPR 2.1 - Add EMC VPLEX Storage to ViPR
Table of Contents
This article further describes:
- How ViPR discovers, and registers the storage system after you add it to ViPR.
- The optional configuration steps you can perform on the storage system after it is added and discovered in ViPR.
This article is part of a series
You can add storage to ViPR at anytime. If, however, you are setting up the virtual data center for the first time, complete the steps described in Step by Step: Setup a ViPR Virtual Data Center.Back to Top
For supported versions, see the EMC ViPR Support Matrix on the EMC Community Network (community.emc.com).
- ViPR supports VPLEX in a Local or Metro configuration. VPLEX Geo configurations are not supported.
- Configure VPLEX metadata back-end storage.
- Create VPLEX logging back-end storage.
- Verify that the:
- Storage systems to be used are connected to the networks containing the VPLEX back-end ports.
- Hosts to be used have initiators in the networks containing the VPLEX front-end ports.
- Verify that logging volumes are configured to support distributed volumes in a VPLEX Metro configuration.
- It is not necessary to preconfigure zones between the VPLEX and storage systems, or between hosts and the VPLEX , except for those necessary to make the metadata backing storage and logging backing storage available.
Before you begin
Only System Administrators can add storage to ViPR.
The following steps describe how to add the storage system to ViPR using the ViPR UI. To use the REST API to add the storage system to ViPR see the Add EMC VPLEX Storage to ViPR Using the REST API article.
- Select .
- Click Add.
- Type the storage provider name.
- Select VPLEX for the type.
- Type the FQDN or IP Address for the VPLEX management server in the Host field.
- Enable or disable SSL.
- Leave the default or enter the port.
- Type the credentials for the storage system. Storage system administrator privileges are required.
- The VPLEX management server is listed in the Storage Provider page.
- Storage systems discovered with the VPLEX management server are displayed in the Storage Systems page.
Once the storage system is discovered, optionally configure the following:Back to Top
- Select .
- Click the storage system name in the Storage System table.
- In the Edit Storage System page, disable Unlimited Resource Allocation setting.
- Specify the maximum number of volumes
ViPR is allocated for provisioning on this storage system. The amount must be 0 or higher.
The Resource Limit value is a count of the number of volumes allowed to be provisioned on the storage system.
- Click Save.
- Select .
- Locate the row for the storage system where the port resides.
- In the Edit row, click Ports.
- Check the row for each port that you want to make unavailable to ViPR for provisioning.
- Click Deregister.
When you add a SAN switch to ViPR, the Fibre Channel networks (Brocade Fabrics or Cisco VSANs), are automatically discovered and registered in ViPR. Additionally, through discovery of the SAN switch topology, ViPR discovers and registers the host initiators for hosts on the network, and identifies which storage systems are associated with the SAN switch.
For more information, see Add Fabric Managers and SAN Networks to ViPR.Back to Top