ViPR 2.2 - Set up Metrics-Based Port Selection using the ViPR UI
Table of Contents
- Port percent busy.
- CPU percent busy.
- Number of initiators using a storage port.
- Number of volumes using a storage port.
- Ports that are overloaded with too many volumes or too high of an I/O load.
- Ports that reside on CPUs where the CPU percent busy is too high or the CPU is servicing too many volumes.
- Allocating more storage on arrays that are overloaded.
For further information on the metrics and how they are used to allocate ports, see Understanding Metrics-Based Port Selection in ViPR.Back to Top
You can set these configuration properties using both the ViPR UI, as shown here, and with the REST API, as shown in Set up Metrics-Based Port Selection using the ViPR REST API.
After logging into the ViPR UI as a system administrator, check whether metering is enabled, and to what value the metering interval is set.
- the value of Enable Metering which should be set to true to collect metrics from the arrays.
- the value of Metering Interval which sets how often ViPR will collect data from the arrays. The metering interval can be set from 1800 seconds (30 minutes) up to 4 hours. The lower the number of seconds, the more accurate will be the results. However, the higher the metering interval is, the less overhead there is on ViPR and the array.
- Log into the EMC Unisphere.
- Select Monitoring and Alerts section. . Statistics for Block can be found in the
Performance Data Logging.
The Data Logging dialog is displayed.
- If data logging is not already started:
Do not change the default times for Real Time Interval and Archive Interval.
- Click Start to start data logging.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
- Log into the Storage navigator.
- Select Performance Monitor.
- Click Edit Monitor Switch.
- Enable Monitor Switch.
- Set the Sample Interval.
- Log into the Storage Navigator.
- Select Administrator.
- Click User Groups.
- Select Storage Administrator (View Only) User Group.
- Click Create User.
The username and password must be the same as the HiCommand Device Managercredentials which ViPR uses for discovering the storage provider.
Type a User Name.
- Type a Password.
- Type the Account status.
- Type the Authentication details.
Please refer to the section, Using the SMI-S function, in the Hitachi Command Suite Administrator guide to enable default or upload new certificates on the array to access SMI-S in secure mode.Back to Top
Before you begin
- You must set how often ViPR will collect data from the array.
- Only system administrators can change port allocation parameters.
- Initiator Ceiling = Maximum number of initiators that can use the port before new allocations are not allowed.
- Volume Ceiling = Maximum number of volumes that can use the port before new allocations are not allowed.
- Port Utilization Ceiling = Maximum average port percent busy value (from 0 - 100%) before new allocations are not allowed.
- CPU Utilization Ceiling = Maximum average CPU percent busy value (from 0 - 100%) before new allocations are not allowed.
- Days To Average Utilization = The sample averaging time in days (1 -30 days) . Default is one day.
- Weight For Exponential Moving Average = The EMA weight for the current sample. The EMA weight is greater than zero and less than or equal to 1.0. A value of 1.0 uses only the current averaging period.
- Metrics Enabled
CPU percent busy is not calculated for HDS
- true = use collected metrics and calculate Port percent busy and CPU percent busy.
- false = only use the number of initiators and the number of volumes to allocate ports; ignore the collected metrics and do not calculate Port percent busy and CPU percent busy.
For further information on the parameters and how they are used to allocate ports, see Understanding Metrics-Based Port Selection in ViPR.
- Log into the ViPR UI with System Administrator privileges.
- Select Port Allocation.
- Select the port allocation parameter that you want to change.
- Click Add.
- Select the Scope Type.
- Select the Scope Value.
- Type the value of the parameter.
- Click Save.