ViPR 2.1 - New Features in EMC ViPR
Table of Contents
ViPR integration with EMC XtremIO
The integration of EMC ViPR and EMC XtremIO enables users to leverage commodity hardware to build an infrastructure that utilizes high performance flash storage systems.
Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) support
The ViPR controller supports block storage management for Hitachi Data Systems (HDS).
- Hitachi Data Systems Virtual Storage Platform (HDS VSP)
SAN network enhancements
Device aliases allow an administrator to create a name for the WWNs of the initiators, storage ports, and other devices attached to a SAN network. This simplifies maintenance operations such as replacing initiators on a host.The ViPR implementation of device aliases assumes the following:
- Only one alias exists for a WWPN.
- Aliases refer to WWNs and not to port names or other type of endpoint identifiers.
- For Cisco, the supported aliases are device aliases in Enhanced mode only.
- A fabric (VSAN) has an active zoneset and all zone creation, deletion, and updates are for the active zoneset.
Zoning can now be completed independently of exports. Zonesets can now be activated once all zones are updated and a health check is completed.
Controller footprint reduction
The minimum resource requirements for ViPR Controller have been reduced. Refer to the ViPR Support Matrix for specific requirements.
CPU and memory resources can be scaled up after deployment.
RecoverPoint and VPLEX enhancements
- ViPR now supports adding RecoverPoint protection to a VPLEX Local and VPLEX Metro virtual volume. To do this, run the ViPR service Change Volume Virtual Pool and choose the operation Add RecoverPoint Protection.
- ViPR adds support for expanding VPLEX Local and VPLEX Metro volumes that have RecoverPoint protection. Three ViPR services support this operation:
- Expand Block Volume
- Expand Volume on Windows
- Expand Linux Mount
Enhancements and changes to the ViPR user interface
User and Admin mode combined
The User and Admin modes have been combined into a single mode. Users will now see information based on the users credentials.
- System Health page updates
The System Health page has been reorganized to improve usability.
- Change virtual pool services
The auto-tiering policy for a volume can now be updated using the Change volume virtual pool or Change virtual pool services.
- OpenStack Block Storage (Cinder) Service updates
- The ability to edit a storage port to update the port identifier or world wide port name (WWPN) has been added for the OpenStack Block Storage (Cinder) Service.
Enhancements and changes to the ViPR API
The EMC ViPR REST API Reference document lists all API changes.
Enhancements and changes to the ViPR CLI
The EMC ViPR CLI Reference document lists all CLI changes.
ViPR Documentation on EMC Community Network
The EMC ViPR Product Documentation Index links directly to articles posted on EMC.com and the EMC Community Network (ECN) websites.
ViPR Documentation on EMC Online Support
The EMC Online Support site provides some customer documentation only available to registered customers and includes access to software downloads, service requests, support knowledge base, and other customer support tools.