Upgrade data fabric
Table of Contents
This article applies to EMC ViPR 2.0.
Use the vipr.upgrade.all command to initiate an upgrade of all of the nodes in the data fabric. The command pushes the upgrade container to the registry node whose IP address is specified on the -H parameter. The nodes are upgraded automatically in a node-by-node pattern (starting with the registry node).
The upgrade takes approximately 25 minutes per node. All of the nodes must be in good health before starting the data fabric upgrade. All of the nodes in the data fabric are upgraded at one time. It does not upgrade a subset of nodes.Back to Top
- Download the ViPR data fabric OVA file, ecs-fabric-installer-version-build.ova to a temporary directory.
- Start the vSphere client.
- Log in to the vCenter Server where you are deploying the installer host.
- Select .
- Browse to and select the ViPR installer host OVA file that you copied to the temporary directory.
- Accept the End User License Agreement.
- Specify a name for the installer host.
- Select the host or cluster on which to run the installer host.
- If resource pools are configured (not required for the installer host), select one.
- If more than one datastore is attached to the ESX Server, select the datastore for the installer host.
- Select Thin Provision.
- On the Network Mapping page, map the source network to a destination network as appropriate.
- Power on the VM.
- Log in to the VM using root/ChangeMe as the credentials.
- Navigate to /opt/emc/ECS-fabric-installer.
Before you begin
Verify the nodes in the data fabric to be upgraded are:
- In Operational mode. Nodes in maintenance mode cannot be upgraded.
- Reporting Good health.
- Log in to the installer node and go to the ECS-fabric-installer directory.
- Run the
command. The IP address you pass on the -H parameter must be the IP address of the registry node.
# fab vipr.upgrade.all -H 10.247.201.240,10.247.201.236,10.247.201.238 --set ZK_SERVER_LIST="192.168.13.12 192.168.13.14 192.168.13.13",registration_key=ChangeMe,REGISTRY="10.247.201.238"The command reports its progress to stdout as it completes each step of the upgrade. It reports Upgrade complete when the upgrade of all nodes in the data fabric is successful.
The syntax is:
# fab vipr.upgrade.all options
The valid options are: -H and --set.
Use the -H parameter to pass in the IP address of the registry node.
Use the --set parameter to pass in this set of key-value pairs:
- ZK_SERVER_LIST: Space-separated list of the private IP address(es) of commodity nodes that run the Zookeeper service.
- registration_key: The password of the ViPR controller root account.
- REGISTRY: The public IP address of the commodity node containing the Docker registry.
# fab vipr.upgrade.all -H 10.247.201.240,10.247.201.236,10.247.201.238 --set ZK_SERVER_LIST="192.168.13.12 192.168.13.14 192.168.13.13",registration_key=ChangeMe,REGISTRY="10.247.201.238"