ViPR 2.1 - Upgrade the OS and firmware on Commodity hardware
Table of Contents
Perform the upgrade process one node at a time. You will need the SSH credentials and public IP address for each node you are upgrading.
The upgrade process includes the following tasks:
- Obtain the required operating system or firmware software.
- Using SSH, login to the node to upgrade.
- Using the maintmode command, put the node into maintenance mode.
- Perform the upgrade procedure on the node.
- When the upgrade is complete, put the node into operational mode using the maintmode command.
- Repeat this set of tasks for each node in the system until the entire system is at the same software level.
Before you begin
Verify that nodes with suspect or bad status are still reachable with an SSH session. If the node is not reachable, skip this procedure and proceed with service.
If a node is in suspect or bad status, and service or replacement of the node or its components is required, use the maintmode command. The command puts the node in maintenance mode, notifies the data fabric to finish pending interactions, and to ignore the node until it leaves maintenance mode.
- Start an SSH session with the node.
- Type the following:
- Wait while the command notifies the data fabric to finish all pending interactions with the node.
When the data fabric notifies the command that all interactions are complete, the command then notifies you that the node is in maintenance mode. When you receive this notification, it is safe to perform the service operation.
- Perform the operating system or firmware upgrade using the software instructions provided with the upgrade package.
- In your SSH session with the node, type the following.
- Wait while the system reintegrates the node.
The command notifies you that the node is in operational mode.