Add Hitachi Data System (HDS) storage to ViPR using the REST API
Table of Contents
This article also describes how the storage is discovered after it is added to ViPR, and the important REST API calls to manage and configure the storage after it has been added, and discovered in ViPR.
This article applies to EMC ViPR 2.0.
This article is part of a series
- Authenticate with the ViPR REST API
- Add physical assets to ViPR:
- Create ViPR virtual assets:
- Hitachi HiCommand Device Manager software must be installed and licensed.
- HiCommand Device Manager must discover all Hitachi storage systems (that ViPR will discover) before you can add them to ViPR.
- When you add the HiCommand Device Manager as a ViPR storage provider, all the storage systems that the storage provider manages will be added to ViPR. If you do not want ViPR to manage all the storage systems, before you add the HiCommand Device Manager, configure the HiCommand Device Manager to manage only the storage systems that will be added to ViPR.
After you add the storage provider to ViPR, you can deregister or delete storage systems that you will not use in ViPR.
Before you begin
- Authenticate with the ViPR REST API as a System Administrator.
- Hitachi Data System storage is added to ViPR by adding the Hitachi HiCommand Device Manager storage provider to the ViPR Physical Assets. When the storage provider is added, all the storage systems managed by the storage provider will be added to ViPR. If you do not want all the storage systems on an storage provider to be managed by ViPR :
- Before adding the storage provider to ViPR, configure it to only manage the storage systems that will be added to ViPR. Move the storage systems that will not be managed to ViPR onto a different storage provider.
- Or, after adding the storage provider to ViPR deregister or delete the storage systems that will not be used as a ViPR resource.
- Interface Type - hicommand.
- use_ssl - false
- IP Address of the Hitachi HiCommand Device Manager.
- Port Number - The port number used to communicate with the Hitachi HiCommand Device Manager. The default is2001.
- user_name - user name with the HiCommand storage provider. Storage system administrator privileges are required.
- password - password associated with the user_name.
- The EMC ViPR REST API Reference provides a description and complete list of parameters for the REST API methods used in this article.
- Add the Hitachi Data System storage to ViPR by sending a
POST /vdc/storage-providers request. The request returns a task whose URI can be queried to determine the status of the task.
- Query the Hitachi Data System create task, using the task URL from the response body of the POST request. When the
message attribute of the task is
Operation completed successfully, the operation has completed.
When a SAN switch is added to ViPR, the Fibre Channel networks (Brocade Fabrics or Cisco VSANs), are automatically discovered and registered in ViPR. Additionally, through discovery of the SAN switch topology, ViPR discovers, and registers the host initiators for hosts on the network, and identifies which storage systems are associated with the SAN switch.
Refer to Add network systems (fabric managers) and SAN networks to ViPR for more information.