Add EMC VNX for File Storage to ViPR using the ViPR REST API
This article also describes how the storage is discovered, and registered after it is added to ViPR, and some of the important ViPR REST API calls that can be performed on the storage after it has been added, and discovered in ViPR.
This article applies to EMC ViPR 2.0.
This article is part of a series
- Authenticate with the ViPR REST API
- Add physical assets to ViPR:
- Create ViPR virtual assets:
|Supported versions||Supported protocols|
EMC VNX OE for File:
- Storage pools for VNX File have been created.
- Control Stations are operational and will be reachable from ViPR Controller VMs.
- VNX SnapSure is installed, configured, and licensed.
Before you begin
- For the VNX File Control Station:
- The IP address of the Control Station.
- The port number used to connect to the Control Station. The default is 443.
- VNX File user credentials with storage system administrator privileges.
- For the Onboard Storage Provider:
- The storage provider host.
- The port number used to connect to the VNX File Onboard Storage Provider. The default is 5988.
- User credentials to access the Onboard Storage Provider.
- Whether SSL is used to communicate with the Onboard Storage Provider.
- The system type is vnxfile.
- Authenticate with the ViPR REST API as a user with the System Administrator role.
The EMC ViPR REST API Reference provides a description and complete list of parameters for the REST API methods used in this article.
- Add the EMC VNX File storage system by sending a
The request returns a task whose URI can be queried to determine the status of the task..RequestResponse
- Repeat the query of the EMC VNX File creation task, using the task URL from the response body of the
POST request, until the
message attribute of the task is
Operation completed successfully.
ViPR can discover the ports of IP connected storage systems and hosts, but it cannot discover the paths between then, so it is necessary to create IP networks, and then add the host, and storage system ports, which will be provisioned together, to the same IP network.
Refer to Create and configure a ViPR virtual array using the ViPR REST API for more details.