How to Set Up the EMC Smarts Server Manager for Software-Defined Networks (SDN) Feature – Service Assurance Suite 9.4
Table of Contents
This article is for IT networking administrators.
The procedure in this article assumes that your Service Assurance Suite deployment includes:
- EMC Smarts Server Manager (ESM) installed and operational. For example,
- The Server Manager is configured to communicate with the IP Manager.
- The Server Manager is configured with VMware read-only credentials for the Virtual Center associated with your NSX Manager.
- The IP Manager can discover the ESX servers configured in the VMware vCenter.
- A valid EMC Smarts license with the EMC Smarts Server Manager for Software-Defined Networks feature installed.
- Global Console installed.
- Valid VMware administrator credentials for your NSX Manager and the IP address of the host where the NSX Manager resides.
For information about these prerequisites, consult the EMC Smarts Installation Guide for SAM, IP, ESM, MPLS, NPM, OTM, and VoIP Managers, the EMC Smarts Server Manager User and Configuration Guide, and the EMC Smarts Release Notes for SAM, IP, ESM, MPLS, NPM, OTM, and VoIP Managers.Back to Top
Before you begin
EMC Smarts administrator credentials are required to access the Configure menu.
- Open the Service Assurance Manager Global Console attached to the Server Manager (INCHARGE-ESM, by default).
- In the Topology Browser Console, select .
- Right-click the ESM server in the left pane and select Configure ESM credentials.
- In the Configure ESM credentials dialog box, select NSX for the host type.
- Type values in the following fields:
Field Value Host IP address for the NSX Manager host User ID NSX Manager administrator user name Password NSX Manager administrator password
- Click Apply credential with testing.
- Verify that your NSX credentials are accepted for the NSX Manager by checking the status indicator in the
Configure ESM credentials dialog box.
A green Passed test status indicates that the credentials are accepted for the NSX Manager.If the NSX credentials are not accepted, confirm that the credentials are correct and enter them again in the Configure ESM credentials dialog box.You can also check the log file: Verify that NSX credentials are accepted in the log file
- Click Close.
- In the Domain Manager Administration Console, select your IP Manager and select to discover vCenter and the NSX Manager. At the end of the IP Manager discovery process, the Server Manager discovery process is automatically started.
After you finish
For information about how to use the EMC M&R UI, consult the online help.
For information about the SDN topology, consult the EMC Smarts Server Manager User and Configuration Guide.Back to Top
- Open the Server Manager log file in the opt/InCharge/ESM/smarts/local/logs directory.
- Locate the credential messages.
For example, the following messages indicate that the NSX credentials are accepted:
[March 10, 2014 3:35:58 PM EDT +084ms] t@1302337856 SM_ProtocolEngine-125 7924 IC Console - V18.104.22.168 DISC-*-CAL_FR-Credential_Util::addCredential : was called for credential: NSX-<IP_address> [March 10, 2014 3:35:58 PM EDT +387ms] t@1302337856 SM_ProtocolEngine-125 7924 IC Console - V22.214.171.124 DISC-*-CRT_CRED-Credential_Util::addCredential: Creating credential: NSX-<IP_address>