How to Set Up the EMC Smarts Server Manager for Citrix XenServer – Service Assurance Suite 9.4
Table of Contents
This article is for IT networking administrators.
The procedure in this article assumes that your Service Assurance Suite deployment includes:
- EMC Smarts Server Manager (ESM) installed and operational. For example,
- The Server Manager is configured to communicate with the IP Manager.
- The Server Manager is configured with Citrix read-only credentials for your XenServer hypervisor. You should also have access to XenAPI.
- The IP Manager can discover the XenServer servers configured in the XenCenter.
- A valid EMC Smarts license for XenServer installed.
- Global Console installed.
- Valid read-only credentials for your XenServer hypervisor and the IP address of the host where the hypervisor resides.
For information about these prerequisites, consult the EMC Smarts Installation Guide for SAM, IP, ESM, MPLS, NPM, OTM, and VoIP Managers, the EMC Smarts Server Manager User and Configuration Guide, and the EMC Smarts Release Notes for SAM, IP, ESM, MPLS, NPM, OTM, and VoIP Managers.Back to Top
Before you begin
EMC Smarts administrator credentials are required to access the Configure menu.
- Open the Service Assurance Manager Global Console attached to the Server Manager (INCHARGE-ESM, by default).
- In the Topology Browser Console, select .
- Right-click the ESM server in the left pane and select Configure ESM credentials.
- In the Configure ESM credentials dialog box, select XenServer for the host type.
- Type values in the following fields:
Field Value Host IP address for the master and slave XenServer or standalone XenServer where the individual XenServer hypervisor resides User ID XenServer read-only user name Password XenServer read-only password
- Click Apply credential with testing.
- Verify that your XenServer credentials are accepted for the XenServer hypervisor by checking the status indicator in the
Configure ESM credentials dialog box.
A green Passed test status indicates that the credentials are accepted for the XenServer hypervisor.If the XenServer credentials are not accepted, confirm that the credentials are correct and enter them again in the Configure ESM credentials dialog box.You can also check the log file: Verify that XenServer credentials are accepted in the log file
- Click Close.
- In the Domain Manager Administration Console, select your IP Manager and select to discover the XenServer servers. At the end of the IP Manager discovery process, the Server Manager discovery process is automatically started.
After you finish
After the topology for your virtual network has been discovered, to continue to monitor and analyze your network, use the EMC M&R UI or the Service Assurance Global Console.
For information about how to use the EMC M&R UI, consult the online help.
For information about the XenServer topology, consult the EMC Smarts Server Manager User and Configuration Guide.Back to Top
- Open the Server Manager log file in the opt/InCharge/ESM/smarts/local/logs directory.
- Locate the credential messages.
For example, the following messages indicate that the XenServer credentials are accepted:
[December 3, 2014 7:27:40 AM EST +990ms] t@1262713152 SM_ProtocolEngine-1 19488 IC Console - V188.8.131.52 DISC-*-CAL_FR-Credential_Util::addCredential : was called for credential: XEN-<IP_Address> [December 3, 2014 7:27:41 AM EST +663ms] t@1262713152 SM_ProtocolEngine-1 19488 IC Console - V184.108.40.206 DISC-*-CRT_CRED-Credential_Util::addCredential: Creating credential: XEN-<IP_Address>