What is a Private Cloud
A fully virtualized data center with self-service and automation. Self-service and automation are the critical capabilities that increase agility and differentiate from a virtualized data center.
Who uses private clouds and why?
Mid to large corporate and government entities implement a private cloud to achieve greater business agility, increase efficiency, and gain competitive advantage.
In a traditional IT environment, application software and the supporting hardware is procured, managed, and funded in silos, and generally implemented over a period of months. A private cloud infrastructure enables access to a variety of IT resources in minutes to hours and aligns costs to actual consumption.
By enabling the organization to initiate projects faster, capitalize quickly on new capabilities and revenue opportunities, and respond nimbly to market changes, moving to a private cloud elevates IT from cost center to strategic partner.
How does the private cloud work?
Virtualization technologies provide the foundation for a private cloud, whereby IT resources are uncoupled from physical devices. To fully capture the benefits of a private cloud requires an infrastructure optimized for virtualization and tightly integrated.
Moving from a traditional IT environment to a private cloud and delivering IT-as-a-service (ITaaS) also requires new roles, skills, and significant operational changes. Users access services through a self-service catalog of pre-defined configurations, with usage metered and charged accordingly.
What are the benefits of the private cloud?
• Greater efficiency- resources are virtualized and pooled ensuring physical infrastructure is used to its maximum capacity.
• Greater agility – IT resources can be provisioned on demand and returned to the resource pool just as easily.
• Rapid scalability – instantly allocate additional computing resources to meet business demands due to peak seasons, company growth or decline
• Lower costs - infrastructure, energy, and facility costs, “pay as you use” model
• Greater IT staff productivity – Automated provisioning through self-service portal
• Reduce wasted resources – transparent pricing and metering and chargeback tools allow IT admins to pinpoint where costs can be cut
• Higher utilization of IT investments
• Enhanced security and protection of information assets