DELL EMC Glossary
IT Transformation allows businesses to transform digitally by enabling the optimization of existing systems and helping route IT dollars back into the business. In order to do so, organizations must look to modernize their infrastructure, automate their IT processes and transform their procedures and operating models to increase agility and ensure Business-to-IT alignment.
As our shift into a digital economy continues to accelerate, companies must out-innovate, out-think and outpace their competition. The ability to build and innovative new applications that generate rich insights into your business, your industry and your customers, enables you to make informed decisions and quickly take decisive action. This is the key to success for companies in the digital age.
The challenge is that most organizations were not born in the digital age and they must contend with legacy systems and operating models that constrain their ability to transform. Therefore, organizations need to reduce the costs of traditional IT and shift as much of their budget and resources as possible into new Digital Transformation initiatives. This is achieved through IT Transformation.
Organizations need to transform and optimize IT by modernizing infrastructure, automating the delivery and consumption of IT services and transforming operating methods they have in place today. They can then begin to transform from traditional IT models to IT-as-a-Service (ITaaS) cloud models, built on flexible, scale-out platforms that deliver transformative value to their business.
What is IT Transformation?
IT Transformation is an initiative to accelerate the digital delivery of modern IT services and applications that can differentiate a business, its products and operations. In order to transform IT, organizations must follow a well-planned strategy. Regardless of industry and IT maturity at the company, the strategy includes three critical steps:
- Modernizing critical IT infrastructure so that it is efficient in terms of operational expense and management overhead
- Automating IT processes to reduce risk and accelerate the provisioning and deployment of applications
- Transforming IT processes and operations in order to align IT staff and roles as tightly as possible to the business and its customers
Why should I consider IT Transformation?
Today, most IT organizations do not have the freedom to start anew, or rip and replace all existing systems in favor of modern converged and hyper-converged systems, All-Flash based storage and hybrid cloud. Organizations have to contend with traditional systems that house critical data, so these systems cannot simply be transformed overnight. That’s where IT Transformation provides a clear path to delivering IT-as-a-Service, which is cost efficient, agile and allows the business to innovate.
Benefits of IT Transformation
- Create a solid infrastructure foundation on which to deliver automated services and cloud
- Automate and accelerate the deployment and delivery of IT services
- Reduce the risk of critical application and services deployment
- Optimize IT cost models and free up IT budget from operational expenses and route towards Digital Transformation