DELL EMC Glossary
Integrated Copy Data Management (iCDM)
Integrated Copy Data Management enables the consolidation of primary data and associated copies on the same scale-out all-flash array for high-performance, efficient and instant application copies. iCDM provides:
- Allow consolidation of production copies with non-production copies on a single platform without impact on SLAs
- Bullet-proof, consistent IOPS and latency, and the ability to scale out more performance as needed
- Allows instant creation of high performance copies of any data set, in nearly any quantity, space- efficient, with full data services with no impact on SLAs
- Application integration and automation into rich application workflows
- Ability of application, database and development owners to self-serve manage the generation and provisioning of copies
By providing efficient high-performance copies, iCDM can accelerate Test/Dev cycles and shortening your development cycle with higher quality, improve productivity and reduce risk by having improved operation and enable quick local recovery.
How does Integrated Copy Data Management work?
Integrated Copy Data Management enables consolidation of both primary data and associated copies on the same scale-out all-flash array.
The following components are required to enable iCDM capabilities:
- Virtual Copy technology to allow instant creation of high performance copies of any data set, in nearly any quantity, space- efficient, with full data services and with no impact on prod SLAs
- Application integration & automation into rich application workflows that enable copies to be immediately useable and functional
- The ability of application, database and development owners to self-service manage the generation and provisioning of copies
What are the benefits of Integrated Copy Data Management?
- Provide you an effective, scalable and inexpensive option for consolidating copy services for all data center needs
- Boost the organization agility to transform customers’ business processes, operations, and infrastructure.
- Ease of operation by providing application integration and orchestration to provide with self-service capacities
- Accelerated testing and development cycles with improved productivity and better quality
- Reduce operational risks by running operations on production on-par copies, enabling simulations, for pre-production testing or test of the latest patches
- Better decision making, as multiple copies of production data can be extracted and pushed to all downstream analytics, business intelligent applications, on-demand.
Why should I consider Integrated Copy Data Management?
Integrated Copy Data Management enables rich application workflows making a development copy, instantly refreshing it to the latest prod data, pushing the dev copy to QA, pushing the QA copy to a scalability test bed, and rolling the output back into prod.
For analytics processes, production data can be extracted and pushed to all downstream analytics applications on-demand.
For operations, copies from production can be made when needed to pre-production testing, run simulations or test the latest patches. iCDM operations do not affect other copies or risk their SLAs.
iCDM enables copies that are:
- Space efficient
- High performance
- Instant to create, refresh, delete or recover
- Nearly unlimited
- Managed through a flexible, integrated application workflow