A computing environment consisting of pooled compute resources that can be consumed "as needed."
Why use cloud computing?
Pooling compute resources allows for simplified management, increased visibility of application workloads and cost transparency, ultimately accelerating business processes and cutting costs.
How does cloud computing work?
Cloud computing leverages the efficient pooling of on-demand, self-managed virtual infrastructure to create a shared resource that's consumed as a service. This model creates convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources. Resources are rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.
Benefits of cloud computing
- Greater efficiency – resources are virtualized and pooled ensuring physical infrastructure is used to its maximum capacity.
- Greater agility – IT resources can be provisioned on demand and returned to the resource pool just as easily.
- Rapid scalability – instantly allocate additional computing resources to meet business demands due to peak seasons, company growth or decline
- Lower costs – infrastructure, energy, and facility costs, “pay as you use” model
- Greater IT staff productivity – Automated provisioning through self-service portal
- Reduce wasted resources – transparent pricing and metering and chargeback tools allow IT admins to pinpoint where costs can be reduced
- Higher utilization of IT investments
- Enhanced security and protection of information assets