EMC VPLEX Doubles The Distance Between Active-Active Data Centers
Extended VMware vSphere vMotion Support Provides Mission-Critical Workload Mobility Up-To 200 Kilometers; New Offering Simplifies and Accelerates Deployment of Active-Active Data Centers
- EMC VPLEX doubles the distance that customers can non-disruptively move VMware vSphere vMotion workloads between active-active data centers—up-to 200 kilometers (km).
- EMC expands VPLEX Family with a new, simplified—single offering—that combines VPLEX virtual storage with RecoverPoint continuous data protection software—EMC VPLEX Metro Express Edition.
- VPLEX and RecoverPoint now offer enhanced network availability and utilization by automatically load balancing WANs.
EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) today extended its lead as the #1 storage for VMware environments by doubling the distance supported for moving VMware vSPhere® vMotion® workloads between active-active data centers with EMC® VPLEX® virtual storage, and announcing new VPLEX capabilities that enable customers to think differently about how they share data in VMware hybrid clouds to eliminate data center boundaries while transforming their IT infrastructure.
VPLEX Metro has been qualified by EMC to support VMware vSphere® vMotion® workload mobility over twice the distance (up to 200 km with up-to10 ms round-trip latency) with VMware vSphere enhancements. For instance, a data center in New York can now move its mission-critical VMware vSphere vMotion application workload to Philadelphia. VMware workload mobility is increasingly becoming a strategic differentiating capability for IT transformation. VPLEX optimizes the benefits of VMware vSphere vMotion with its unique ability to enable active-active access to mission critical data—enabling application mobility with minimum effort and disruption.
In addition, through a new single offering that packages EMC RecoverPoint™ continuous data protection software with VPLEX, customers can now easily deploy an active-active data center environment with point-in-time protection. EMC VPLEX enables highly available, active-active, geographically distributed virtual data centers—seamlessly pooling two data centers together to enable mobility, availability and collaboration for their data without disruption. In addition, new capabilities for VPLEX and RecoverPoint now extend the benefits of active-active to the IP WAN. This provides new levels of network utilization, availability and intelligence for immediate resolution to planned and unplanned changes in the network.
- Enhanced Data Mobility: VMware vSphere customers can virtualize server resources encapsulating applications into virtual machines that can be moved from one server to the next without downtime using vSphere vMotion. VPLEX complements this capability by moving the corresponding storage resources to provide immediate and non-disruptive data mobility over distance. With new latency support, EMC has qualified that together VMware vSphere vMotion and VPLEX technologies help ensure that updated VMware vSphere vMotion data can be in two places at the same time during a move—with twice the distance as before.
- Simplified Offering: By combining VPLEX and RecoverPoint into a single offering, customers now have even more choice and can benefit from VPLEX’S unique ability to leverage the mobility and data availability conveniently with the data protection capabilities of RecoverPoint to more easily deploy a hybrid cloud. The new, simplified offering enables mission-critical availability between two data centers.
- Enhanced Network Availability and Utilization: VPLEX now offers increased utilization of bandwidth in multiple-link configurations simultaneously through support for EMC RAPIDPath™ technology, which transforms VPLEX and RecoverPoint WAN connectivity from active-passive to active-active. This shift provides continuous network availability in the case of link failure. In the event of a failure, VPLEX has the capability to intelligently route traffic over the other link without breaking network connectivity or requiring a WAN failover.
Giovanni Savarese, CIO, Moby
“Moby is Italy’s leader in maritime transportation. Information feeds Moby’s ability to intelligently invest in new ships and routes, deliver new innovative services, distribution and pricing strategies—and better serve our customers. We’ve selected EMC to help us better protect, access and share information in our VMware vSphere® virtualized environment. With solutions like VPLEX Metro Express Edition—and industry leading integration with VMware—EMC is helping Moby to transform our IT infrastructure and continue evolving our VMware virtualized environment.”
Bogomil Balkansky, Senior Vice President, Cloud Infrastructure Products, VMware
“Workload mobility enabled by VMware vSphere® vMotion® has been a mainstay of the virtualized datacenter since 2003, and has allowed customers of all sizes to avoid countless hours of down time and business disruption. Now VPLEX is a critical ingredient of the next generation of workload mobility – across long distances and multiple data centers—with the enterprise class data availability and protection needed for business-critical applications. Workload mobility across datacenters represents an important industry milestone in innovation, and delivers on the promise of cloud for greater flexibility and business agility.”
Brian Gallagher, President, Enterprise Storage Division, EMC Corporation
“We’ve seen great adoption of VPLEX by enterprise customers that want to exploit the benefits of highly available active-active data centers. These latest innovations build even more value into an industry-unique technology to provide customers with even more value to their VMware environments, as well as a new single offering that makes it easier than ever to benefit from a VMware hybrid cloud. When EMC introduced VPLEX in 2010, we created a new market. These new capabilities further enable customers with fast and reliable access to information—eliminates data center boundaries—and provides enterprise-class protection for mission-critical data and applications.”
All capabilities and functionality announced are available worldwide today.
About Dell EMCEMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, VPLEX, vMotion, vSphere, RecoverPoint and RAPIDPath are either registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries.
VMware , vMotion and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.