EMC Readies Isilon Scale-Out NAS Innovation, Arming Enterprise IT to Meet Big Data Challenges
Next Generation of EMC Isilon's OneFS Scale-Out NAS Operating System Will Blend Industry-Leading Scalability and Simplicity with Enterprise-Grade Data Protection, Security, Interoperability and Performance
- EMC® unveils plans for the next generation of EMC Isilon® OneFS® scale-out NAS operating system, code named "Mavericks," which will enable enterprises to manage rapidly growing unstructured data more effectively, thereby accelerating their businesses.
- The unveiling of Mavericks continues Isilon's scale-out NAS market momentum and further extends the unmatched scalability and efficiency of OneFS across a broader range of enterprise applications and IT infrastructure environments.
- Innovations include:
- Enhanced integration with VMware by leveraging VMware's VAAI and VASA APIs to accelerate and simplify scale-out NAS for virtualization.
- A 25% increase to Isilon's already industry-leading single file system throughput, significantly improving performance for large-scale enterprise applications.
- Dramatically improved caching capability to reduce average latency by 50% for I/O intensive applications.
- New data protection and security features that deliver increased availability and help enterprises meet stringent regulatory compliance requirements.
- Accelerated disaster recovery and business continuity at scale with integrated, push-button failover and failback capabilities.
Today at EMC World, EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) announced that it is readying the next version of its industry-leading EMC Isilon OneFS scale-out NAS operating system, code named "Mavericks." File-based, unstructured data represents the fastest-growing component of today's enterprise data centers. To better support customers as they address the associated issues, this upcoming version of OneFS will incorporate new levels of data protection, security, system performance and interoperability. "Mavericks" is being designed to enable enterprises to extend the unmatched scalability and efficiency of EMC Isilon storage systems to a broader range of enterprise applications and infrastructure environments.
Isilon scale-out NAS solutions have long set the standard for addressing the challenges of managing large, rapidly growing file-based and unstructured data environments for organizations in data-intensive industries including media and entertainment, life sciences and energy exploration. "Mavericks" is designed to extend those advantages to mainstream enterprises now contending with the challenges of managing their own rapidly growing unstructured data across large-scale home directories, files shares, archives, virtualization and business analytics. In addition to Isilon's proven ability to provide massively scalable, highly efficient storage that is simple to manage, "Mavericks" will incorporate new data protection and security tools and increased levels of performance and interoperability that enterprises can use to gain a further competitive edge while meeting essential large-scale corporate IT requirements.
New Enterprise Customer Benefits
- Improved Security – "Mavericks" will bring important enterprise enhancements for regulatory compliance, ensuring absolute retention and protection of business critical data—including the most stringent SEC 17a-4 requirements. Roles-based administration with "Mavericks" will create a strict separation between storage administration and file system access, improving security by preventing malicious or accidental change. Authentication zones will enable the creation of secure, isolated storage pools that allow IT departments to consolidate for increased operating efficiency without compromising organizational security.
- Increased Availability – "Mavericks," with the industry's only scale-out enterprise replication technology, will simplify and accelerate disaster recovery and business continuity at scale with integrated, push-button failover and failback capabilities, reducing both RPO and RTO for mission critical applications. "Mavericks" will also provide near-immediate restoration of snapshot backups to recover critical files in the event of error or attack.
- Accelerated Performance – To support more demanding applications and workloads across the enterprise, EMC Isilon, the world's fastest NAS platform, will deliver more than 100 gigabytes per second of system throughput and remains the world-record holder with 1.6 million SpecSFS2008 CIFS operations per second. "Mavericks" will increase overall throughput by 25%, significantly improving performance for large-scale enterprise applications. In addition, Isilon will provide a dramatically improved caching capability to reduce average latency by 50% for I/O intensive applications.
- Greater Interoperability – With OneFS "Mavericks," Isilon will enhance integration with VMware by leveraging VMware's VAAI and VASA APIs to accelerate and simplify Scale-Out NAS for virtualization. "Mavericks" will also incorporate a new Platform API to provide third-party ISVs and enterprise IT with a more robust automation and control interface to OneFS. These new levels of interoperability enable enterprises to leverage their large data assets with more flexibility, with a broader range of applications and workloads, and across a more diverse IT infrastructure environment.
Benjamin Woo, Program Vice President, Worldwide Storage System, IDC
"A major factor that sets Isilon apart in this era of Big Data is its interoperability with a wide array of applications delivered through a range of industry standard protocols. Isilon recently enhanced this capability to include native integration with Hadoop. With OneFS 'Mavericks,' Isilon is again raising the bar on interoperability with enhanced integration with VMware and a new platform API that provides additional options to enterprises to integrate and manage Isilon storage systems with third-party applications. With its expanded security features, including SEC 17a-4 compliance, OneFS 'Mavericks' is addressing another vital need of enterprise customers. Innovations like these strongly position Isilon scale-out NAS to help enterprises successfully address the challenges of Big Data."
Terri McClure, Senior Analyst, ESG
"The two worlds of Big Data and enterprise IT are converging, creating new opportunities for enterprises to develop new products and services and accelerate the growth of their businesses. To achieve this, enterprises need a highly scalable infrastructure that provides both the capacity and performance to keep pace with ever-growing business demands. EMC Isilon pioneered the delivery of scale-out NAS to address these needs. With OneFS 'Mavericks,' Isilon is building on that leadership by providing increased levels of data protection and performance to meet the still emerging business requirements in this new world of Big Data in the enterprise."
EMC Executive Quotes:
Sujal Patel, Co-founder and President, EMC Isilon
"Big Data has penetrated the enterprise and brought with it enormous opportunities to transform business. It also has introduced challenges, often times eroding operational efficiency and threatening data security and the performance of business processes. Isilon's scale-out NAS is the clear choice for enterprise customers looking to protect, share and manage sensitive data as they scale to petabytes. Increasingly, enterprises will need to consider scale-out storage for its ability to simplify management and accelerate access to their storage in the pursuit of new opportunities."
EMC Isilon OneFS "Mavericks" will be available for customers later this year.
- Learn more about SmartLock™
- Learn more about SnapshotIQ™
- Learn more about SyncIQ™
- Learn more about SmartPools™
Isilon, a division of EMC, is the global leader in scale-out NAS. We deliver powerful yet simple solutions for enterprises that want to manage their data, not their storage. Isilon's products are simple to install, manage and scale, at any size. And, unlike traditional enterprise storage, Isilon stays simple no matter how much storage is added, how much performance is required or how business needs change in the future. We're challenging enterprises to think differently about their storage, because when they do, they'll recognize there's a better, simpler way. Learn what we mean at http://www.isilon.com.
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com
EMC and Isilon are registered trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. Other products and/or services are trademarks of their respective owners.
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (v) component and product quality and availability; (vi) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.'s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vii) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (viii) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (ix) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xii) threats and other disruptions to our secure data centers or networks; (xiii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (xiv) war or acts of terrorism; and (xv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in EMC's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Follow EMC World Online
- Online: To track the latest EMC World 2012 happenings and view live general session streaming videos, visit www.emcworld.com
- EMC Community Network: To view live streaming of keynote presentations, visit https://community.emc.com/community/connect
- Twitter: For continuous EMC World news and event updates, follow EMC on Twitter at @EMCWorld and @EMCCorp and join the conversations using #EMCWorld.
- Facebook: To view highlight videos, interviews and more, like EMC on Facebook.
- Flickr: View photos of EMC World on Flickr and tag your EMC World photos with "EMC World 2012"