EMC Unveils New VNX Unified Storage Family Delivering Record Breaking Simplicity, Efficiency and Affordabiilty
- The EMC® VNX™ familydesigned for virtual data centersconverges industry leading EMC CLARiiON® storage area network (SAN) and EMC Celerra® network attached storage (NAS) systems into a single, unified family of solutions. The VNX family includes the VNXe™ (entry) series with breakthrough simplicity for small and medium businesses, and the VNX series , delivering leadership performance, efficiency, and simplicity for demanding virtual application environments.
- The VNXe series is the world’s simplest unified storage system, providing application-optimized management and single-click help and support. The VNXe series, designed for the IT Manager that does not specialize in storage, offers an entry price of under $10,000 (USD).
- The highly scalable VNX series delivers 3-times simpler management, 3-times better efficiency, and 3-times more performance and than current EMC midrange storage systems. With the EMC FAST (Fully Automated Storage Tiering) Suite, including FAST VP (Virtual Pools) and FAST Cache, the VNX series offers superior performance, capacity optimization, and comprehensive storage management functionality, while exploiting the benefits of Solid State Drives (SSD). The systems dramatically simplify the deployment and management of virtualized applications, including Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server and Microsoft Exchange Server, VMware View virtual desktops, and Oracle databases.
New York, NYJanuary 18, 2011EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC), the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today introduced a new family of unified storage systemsEMC® VNX®. The new storage solutions consolidate the industry-leading features and functionality of EMC CLARiiON and EMC Celerra into a single, powerful family of unified storage arrays that scale from entry-level to datacenter-class systems. The VNXe (for entry) series, is designed specifically for small and medium-sized businesses, department level storage solutions for enterprise, and remote or branch offices, combining breakthrough simplicity with advanced performance, availability, and efficiency benefits (see related VNXe Velocity Partner Program announcement).
The VNXe series, with a starting price under $10,000 (USD), delivers unmatched simplicity, efficiency, and affordability for small and medium-sized businesses. Its unique capabilities include the ability to:
- Provision storage in for hundreds of Microsoft Exchange Server mailboxes, or a 1TB VMware data store, in less-than 2 minutes.
- Automatically double storage capacity utilization using advanced data reduction technologies.
- Provide automated diagnosis, service, and technical support information in a single click.
The new VNX series provides 3-times simpler management, 3-times the efficiency, and 3-times the performance than current EMC midrange storage systems, enabling customers to:
- Run Microsoft SQL Server 3-times faster.
- Run Oracle OLTP 3-times faster.
- Boot 500 virtual desktops in 8-minutes.
- Reduce Microsoft SQL Server administration and tuning chores by hours per week.
- Improve capacity efficiency up to 3-times with the EMC FAST Suite, compression and file deduplication.
In Q3 CY2010, EMC was the #1 market share leader in worldwide external disk storage systems with over 26-percent market share according to IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Disk Storage Systems Tracker (December 2010). The VNX family is the future of EMC’s midrange storage systemsand will extend EMC’s market share leadership. The VNX family is fully optimized for virtual applications, designed with the latest Intel® multi-core processor technology to achieve record-breaking performance. It also introduces new, comprehensive software packages for simple and affordable management and total data protection.
Both the VNXe series and VNX series are managed by EMC Unisphere®, a centralized and simple interface. The VNXe systems are designed for IT professionals with little storage expertise. Its unique wizard-based setup and application-centric provisioning enables customers to configure storage for 500 Exchange mailboxesor 1TB of VMware data storesin just a few minutes. For small and medium-sized businesses, Unisphere application driven wizards make VNXe simple to install, simple to provision and simple to managewith instant access to a self-service online community.
- Powerful application-based provisioning wizards for breakthrough simplicity, including support for Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Compact 2U and 3U packaging fits almost any environment.
- Built-in support for file-based (CIFS, NFS) and block-based (iSCSI) storage.
- No single-point-of-failure design.
- Built-in data protection, including replication.
- Advanced efficiency features including thin provisioning, file deduplication and compression.
- Integrated self-help and support infrastructure automates and speeds problem resolution.
- Advanced 6Gbps SAS and Nearline SAS drive support.
- Scalable up to 120 disk drives (240 TB).
- Combines the market-leading capabilities of EMC CLARiiON and EMC Celerra into a single, unified platformwith 3-times the performance of previous generations.
- Based on Intel Xeon 5600 multicore processor technology to maximize solution throughput and bandwidth.
- Industry’s most advanced automated storage tiering (FAST VP).
- Only storage solution offering both automated file and block sub-LUN tiering using FAST VP and powerful, extendable system cache with FAST Cache
- Supports 6Gbps SAS, Nearline SAS and SSD drive types.
- Scales up-to 2 PB per system (1000 drives).
- Support for multiple protocols and data-types including: FC, iSCSI, FCoE, NFS, CIFS, SOAP, REST.
- Integrated data protection, security and compliance.
“IT organizations are under extreme pressure to reduce costs and deliver, more efficient IT services. In addition, the expectation for simpler IT is at an all-time high and is dissolving traditional silos at larger companies. Meanwhile, small and mid-sized organizations are facing similar pressures but with fewer in-house skills. Our financial models show that by bringing together CLARiiON and Celerra, EMC's VNX series will allow practitioners to reduce costs and accelerate IT delivery; while the VNXe series will enable small and mid-sized organizations to essentially deliver IT as a service without specialized storage skill sets.”
-David Vellante, Chief Research Advocate, Wikibon.org.
“The City of Safford is an ideal place to live, work and visit. Our IT organization is dedicated to providing residents and visitors with prompt and courteous services as efficiently and effectively as possible. We have a lot of commitments to our community-with a limited amount of resources. Technology is the backbone of our ability to interact with the community. The EMC VNXe series is the simplest storage product we've ever worked with. It's also efficient and incredibly affordable-lowering our storage and management costs. EMC unified storage allows us to confidently manage our information-and easily scale our infrastructure as the City of Safford continues to grow.”
-Derek Kruger, IT & Communications Supervisor, City of Safford Arizona
“As a managed services provider throughout Australia and Asia, InfoPlex, needs to offer uniform products independently of the location. This makes our support, reporting and billing much simpler. Designed to provide enterprise-class functionality for SMBs, remote office and back-office environments, EMC’s new VNXe systems will gives us the cost, simplicity and functionality to make this possible for a number of service products that we provide outside of our core locations. In addition, VNXe replication capabilities will allow us to leverage backup and disaster recovery services in our core data centres, providing whole business solutions without major investment in smaller locations.”
-Ray Burquest, Chief Operating Officer, InfoPlex
“PITT OHIO is a service organization dedicated to consistently providing transportation solutions to our customers. We are customer driven, people driven and quality driventechnology is central to our ability to meet customers’ needs. We require a unified storage solutionlike the VNX seriesthat is powerful enough to handle the demands of our applications and shared storage needs, efficient and optimized for capacity and virtual environments, and simple to manage, monitor and scale.”
-Jules Thomas, System Specialist IV, PITT OHIO
“Sweden-based Stena Metall is the leader in recycling and environmental services in the Nordic region of Europe. We recycle and process metals, paper, electronics, hazardous waste and chemicalsand have operations in international trading in steel, metals and oil. As a longtime EMC customer we’re pleased to see that EMC once again offers the latest efficiency technologies including fully automated storage tiering FAST and space saving technologies like deduplication, optimized for a VMware virtual environment like ours. The VNX series is a powerful midrange storage solution that will enable Stena Metall to manage our information simply and efficientlywhile being powerful enough to handle our growth and the demands of our specialized applications which help us continue to be the leader in our market.”
-Håkan Canander, Manager IT Infrastructure & IT Support, Stena Metall
“The Wake County Board of Education in North Carolina is dedicated to ensuring all students are educated, enabling them to become responsible and productive citizens who can effectively manage future challenges. Technology is critical to this mission and supporting our schools. We have a pressing need to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and simplify our IT environmentand eventually will move to a private cloud model. The EMC VNXe series offers the simplicityand affordabilityfor us to deliver and manage non-mission critical applications (student email and individual school reading programs). The unified storage system promises the availability and reliability that was previously price prohibitive to us. EMC is bringing intelligent unified storage to organizations like oursaffordably.”
-Vass Johnson, Senior Director of Network Systems at Wake County B oard of Education
“This is the most significant midrange announcement in EMC’s 30-year history. It is a critical piece of EMC’s strategy of architecting our storage solutions to be optimized for virtualized environments,” said Rich Napolitano, President, Unified Storage Division at EMC. “The VNX family sets the stage for all of our future products in EMC’s midrange portfolio. For storage specialists, we’ve converged the best attributes of the market leading SAN (with EMC CLARiiON) and NAS (with EMC Celerra) storage systems into one powerful new platformarmed with the industry’s most advanced automated tiering software to exploit the benefits of SSDs. For IT generalists, EMC brings tremendous simplicity and enterprise-class storage to SMBsaffordably.”
The VNX family is orderable today and will be available in the first quarter of 2011 worldwide from EMC and EMC Velocity channel partners.
President, Unified Storage Division
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world’s leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC’s products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, VNX, CLARiiON and Celerra are registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (iv) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (v) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.'s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vi) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (vii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (viii) component and product quality and availability; (ix) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) war or acts of terrorism; (xii) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (xiii) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xiv) litigation that we may be involved in; and (xv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in EMC's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Introducing the EMC VNX Family
Hear Rich Napolitano, President, Unified Storage Division at EMC discuss the VNX unified storage family—offering breakthrough simplicity, efficiency, power and affordability
City Safford on the new EMC VNXe
Hear EMC customer, City of Safford, discuss the new EMC VNXe.
- VNX Family Data Sheet
- EMC VNXe Series Simplicity Demo
- Top 10 Reasons Why Customers Deploy Microsoft Applications with VMware vSphere Essentials on EMC VNXe
- Top 10 Reasons Why Customers Deploy Virtualized Microsoft Applications on EMC VNX
- IDC: "Growth and Delivering Value Through the Channel"
- IDC: "Storage Usability Is a Critical Requirement for IT in Small and Medium-sized businesses and Remote Offices"
- ESG: "EMC's VNX Family A Unifying Force in Storage"