EMC Reduces TCO For Virtual Desktops 60 Percent
- New technology features and integration of EMC FAST Cache, EMC Virtual Storage Integrator for VMware vCenter with VMware View 4.5 reduces storage costs by 60 percent and requires 90 percent less physical space and power.
- New EMC Proven™ Solution joint EMC and VMware whitepaper reduces storage cost per desktop as low as $38 per client to enable customers of all sizes to deploy a virtual desktop strategy.
- EMC Avamar® deduplication reduces backup window by 90 percent, provides 40-60 times reduction in storage and delivers unique client and system recovery capabilities.
- New RSA SecurBook™ for VMware View offers practical guidance for deploying and administering security controls using RSA products.
- EMC Global Services removes the risk of virtual desktop deployments and delivers seamless migration to Microsoft Windows 7 on VMware View 4.5.
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (VMworld 2010), August 31, 2010 – EMCCorporation (NYSE: EMC), the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today announced a comprehensive portfolio of services and solutions for VMware View 4.5 to help customers accelerate deployment of virtual desktop environments. By centralizing the management of desktops and deploying those virtually with VMware View 4.5 businesses can avoid much of the cost and expense associated with traditional desktop management. EMC reduces storage costs by 60 percent and decreases physical space and power required by 90 percent while, at the same time, maintaining high desktop performance levels.
EMC Technology Features and Integrations Extend Value of VMware View 4.5
As the number one storage provider for VMware environments, EMC offers complementary features as well as deep technology integrations with VMware View to deliver the most efficient, secure, easy-to-use, and highest performing environment at the lowest cost per desktop, starting at $38 per client. These solutions include:
- Reduced Cost of Storage by 60 Percent and Space/Power by 90 Percent: Storage features such as Enterprise Flash Drives with EMC FAST Cache enable customers to serve the same number of users at 60 percent of the cost, control capital expenditures while enhancing performance and response times. Additionally FAST Cache helps eliminate past challenges such as boot storms, patches, and antivirus scans. For example, EMC can boot 1000 virtual desktops in four minutes leveraging advanced integration with VMware vStorage API’s for Array Integration (VAAI) and new tiering capabilities of VMware View Composer. Unlike offerings from other vendors, EMC FAST and FAST Cache can uniquely be expanded on the fly to support virtually any number of users, and allow future cost avoidance through adding more solid state in the future.
- Advanced Backup and Recovery at Lower Costs: EMC Avamar deduplication backup software and EMC storage systems are fully integrated with VMware vStorage API for Data Protection and VMware vCenter to reduce backup windows by up to 90 percent, achieve 40-60 times data reduction and reduce backup and replication bandwidth needs by as much as 99 percent. Avamar’s architecture is an exceptional fit for customers deploying VMWare View as it takes advantage of VMware vSphere features to deliver optimized backup and recovery, as well as a number of advanced capabilities.
- Only End-To-End Security Suite for VMware View 4.5: Products from EMC's RSA security division, including the RSA SecurID® strong authentication solution, RSA® Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Endpoint software and RSA enVision® platform help protect identities, secure information and monitor infrastructure in VMware View environments. The RSA SecurBook for VMware View also offers practical and actionable guidance for deploying and administering security controls using RSA products.
- Enhanced Usability: EMC Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) for VMware vCenter enables VMware administrators to more effectively and easily provision, manage and extend VMware View clients and VMware data stores – all from the VMware vCenter console. The new EMC plug-in also enables VMware administrator to perform array-based snapshot or clone operations of individual machines from the VMware vCenter Server console, and automatically import to VMware View via integration with VMware View Manager.
EMC Proven Solutions for VMware View 4.5
EMC Proven Solutions for VMware View help customers identify and overcome business challenges by reducing risk and time to value in their information infrastructure and accelerate their deployment of virtual desktops. A new joint EMC and VMware reference architecture and best practices has been tested and validated and a new joint whitepaper has been created that highlights how to reduce the starting storage cost per desktop to as low as $38 per client.
EMC Global Services Help Customers Achieve Virtual Desktop Strategy
Implementing and configuring a complete virtual desktop infrastructure requires expertise in desktop deployment and migrations, application virtualization, security, system management and storage design. The powerful combination of EMC Global Services expertise—spanning consulting, implementation, residencies and education—and EMC’s industry-leading technology for VMware View environments enables customers to achieve business agility, application flexibility and infrastructure efficiency and security.
As one of the largest premier partners in the VMware Partner Network—with thousands of VMware certified, customer-facing experts—EMC’s new desktop virtualization services extends the company’s rich data center infrastructure services to help accelerate adoption and improve desktop virtualization image storage and recovery as well as secure, manage and automate desktop infrastructures and applications. In addition, customers can work with EMC to seamlessly migrate to Microsoft Windows 7 on VMware View with EMC’s Design and Architecture Service for Microsoft Windows 7, and Desktop User Migration and Training.
EMC’s suite of new services to support desktop virtualization ranges from strategic impact planning for desktop virtualization to design and implementation to storage assessments for VMware View. EMC also offers Residency Services for VMware to provide dedicated virtualization experts onsite to run the “business as usual” operations of the virtual environment. As a VMware Authorized Training Center, EMC offers customers all available VMware View courses, in addition to a comprehensive custom VMware training—including unique VMware ESX Server-EMC storage integration workshops.
"As a real estate investment trust (REIT) with people working in 33 offices around the world, we need an IT service model that combines on-premise and cloud computing solutions for a flexible, cost efficient and secure environment,” said Wayne Pryor, Chief Technology Officer, AMB Property Corporation. “We turned to EMC because of its VMware optimized technology, consulting services’ expertise in physical and virtual infrastructures, as well as Microsoft desktop application experience. Working with EMC we are confident that we’ll be able to streamline the provisioning, deployment and management of our desktops, lower operating risks and costs, and provide high-value services to our internal and external clients.”
"There are multiple steps that companies need to take to achieve their private cloud strategy and virtual desktop is a core element," said EMC's Chad Sakac, Vice President, VMware Technology Alliance. "IT must provide ubiquitous access for all its employees beyond the corporate campus at a reasonable cost without putting the company at risk. EMC is offering the most complete and cost-effective approach for removing risk and accelerating virtual desktop deployments with VMware View 4.5 by leveraging our optimized technology, strong engineering relationships and our proven services expertise with VMware solutions."
"Desktop virtualization is the next logical step in the move toward pervasive virtualization, and EMC is uniquely positioned to help organizations realize virtual desktop visions. Clients benefit from our extensive virtualization and data center infrastructure experience combined with our applications and desktop productivity consulting expertise," said EMC's Tom Roloff, Senior Vice President, EMC Consulting. "Working with us, our clients can more effectively manage the challenges of Windows 7 migrations, complex PC refresh cycles, large-scale application roll-outs and enable highly mobile workforces."
Tom Roloff, Senior Vice President, EMC Consulting, EMC Corporation
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world’s leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC’s products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, Avamar, RSA, SecurID and enVision are registered trademarks, and EMC Proven and SecurBook are trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. VMware, VMworld, VMware View, VMware vCenter and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
Experts from EMC and VMware explain how virtualized desktop solutions deliver better productivity, control, security and cost.
Ben Gray, Senior Analyst at Forrester Research, addresses VDI and its benefits.
- White Paper: Cost-Effective EMC Unified Storage Solutions for VMware View 4.5
- Solution Overview: EMC Infrastructure for Virtual Desktops
- Reference Architecture: EMC Infrastructure for Virtual Desktops (Fibre Channel)
- EMC Consulting: Next-Generation and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- EMC Services for VMware View
- Applied Best Practices: Deploying Microsoft Windows 7 Virtual Desktops with VMware View
- EMC Consulting: Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI ) Assessment and Business Justification