In every aspect of business today, organizations are realizing the need to help perpetuate social, economic, and environmental sustainability. They are stepping up to do their part by preserving environmental resources, promoting human welfare, and contributing to global prosperity. Cities are taking steps to recycle waste and reduce water use. Corporations are creating a culture of inclusiveness and investing in the workforce of the future. Business leaders are demonstrating the link between sustainability and financial success.
Perhaps no industry has become more tuned in to the need to support sustainability than IT. Within the data center, the explosion of digital information is creating increasing financial, management, and environmental pressures. At the same time, visionary leaders are leveraging a growing number of IT products to help their organizations be more creative in supporting human, ecological, and financial well-being.
This section explores IT’s role in the global task of promoting sustainability.
Driven by Nature
- Storing the Sun
- Future Cities
- Smart Energy
- Ms. Winkler Goes to Washington
- Building Smart for Sustainability
- Going Green on the Emerald Isle
- Are Private Clouds Green?
- A Green World Focus: EMC Globalizes its Environmental Strategy
- Kathrin Winkler's (Chief Sustainability Officer, EMC) blog
- InfoWorld: EMC's Datacenter Efficiency Project One of Top 100 IT Projects in 2009
- Sustainability at EMC