Virtualize Everything. Compromise Nothing.
Pool storage resources
Automate and manage storage
Extend Beyond EMC
Leverage an open architecture
Explore & Compare
Explore product options and get a quote
With ViPR software-defined storage, the control plane—where you manage storage—is decoupled from the data plane—where you store your data—ensuring that you retain the value of underlying arrays.
The ViPR Controller:
- Abstracts physical storage resources into a single virtual pool
- Pools “like resources” into virtual storage arrays which are logical representations of physical storage arrays and have similar characteristics such as storage type, size, performance, and location
- Automates provisioning by creating policy-based virtual storage pools with predefined storage capabilities presented to users via a customizable catalog of services
- Provides a single view to centrally manage storage resources, performance, and utilization including metering and chargeback across your entire infrastructure
With open access to all ViPR application programming interfaces (APIs), it’s easy for anyone to integrate existing management tools, storage platforms, or cloud stacks with ViPR. ViPR is fully integrated with the following EMC storage and technology products: EMC VMAX, EMC VNX, EMC VPLEX, EMC Isilon, and EMC RecoverPoint.
ViPR extends beyond EMC to integrate with third-party storage such as platforms from NetApp, and cloud stacks like OpenStack, VMware, and Microsoft.
ViPR supports a broad range of industry-standard APIs including block-and-file protocols such as Common Internet File System (CIFS), Network File System (NFS), and Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI), and object APIs including Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, and EMC Atmos.
ViPR enables customers to deploy Data Services that run across all ViPR-managed storage arrays. Customers can choose from one of the following ViPR data services:
- ViPR Object Data Service – Store, access, and manipulate unstructured data as objects on ViPR-managed storage such as EMC VNX, EMC Isilon, and other third-party file arrays including NetApp.
- ViPR Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) Data Service – Use existing storage as a big data repository by extending queries and applications to data sources without having to move data into a dedicated Hadoop cluster.
Enterprise Management AssociatesEMC ViPR: Software-Defined Storage with No Hardware Required
Enterprise Strategy GroupEMC ViPR: Helping Secure-24 Automate Provisioning and Speed Time to Market for New Customer Applications
Data and Spec Sheets
- Realizing the Benefits of Software-Defined Storage
- Rethink Storage: Transform the Data Center with EMC ViPR Software-Defined Storage
- Simple, Extensible, Open: Unleash the Value of Data with EMC ViPR Global Data Services
This software download includes the ViPR Controller 1.1 and the ViPR SolutionPack, with licenses and installation and configuration guides.