EMC Leads Industry Shift to Gateways with New NAS Products
Continues NAS Innovation with New Gateway and Integrated NS700 Models; Delivers Industry-Leading Flexibility, Price/Performance and Enhanced Functionality
EMC Corporation, the world leader in information storage and management, today expanded the world's broadest network attached storage (NAS) product family with new models and enhancements that capitalize on the industry trend towards gateway-based NAS deployments. NAS gateways, the fastest-growing segment of the NAS market, offer more value by allowing customers to pool existing SAN and NAS storage for better utilization, flexibility and scale while leveraging existing SAN investments.
Today's announcement of gateway-enabled NAS products includes:
- Celerra® NS700G NAS Gateway - dramatically increases performance and boosts capacity, improves manageability and reduces costs while supporting flexible, tiered storage options.
- Celerra NS700 Integrated NAS - leads the industry for integrated system price/performance while protecting customer investment by enabling migration to a gateway-based architecture in the future.
- Celerra CNS 514 Data Mover - deliver 56% better performance (26,156 NFS OPS) than the 510 Data Mover it replaces. Now EMC's fastest Celerra CNS model is almost five times faster than Network Appliance's fastest model, the FAS980c.
- New version of the DART operating environment (v5.2), featuring:
- Management enhancements - The new web-based Celerra Manager dramatically simplifies and centralizes the management of multiple Celerra platforms, both gateway and integrated, from a single enterprise view. DART 5.2 also provides improved support for Microsoft Windows 2003 environments with automated and centralized policy-based management using the Microsoft Management Console and active directory.
- Replication enhancements - New Celerra Replicator" features enable business recovery over extended distances; NAS customers may choose between NAS-based Celerra Replicator or EMC's SRDF® family of business continuity products to meet their requirements. Celerra SnapSure" now includes functionality to make scheduled check points operate more efficiently.
Both the NS700 and NS700G are available in single or dual Data Mover configurations and let customers easily achieve a range of service level requirements through the industry-unique capability to concurrently support both Fibre Channel and ATA disk drives for tiered storage environments.
David Donatelli, EMC Executive Vice President of Storage Platforms Operations, said, "The NAS market is rapidly evolving. Customers want to eliminate islands of disconnected storage scattered throughout their infrastructure. EMC's NAS products are helping customers achieve this objective by deploying gateway technology to remove the islands and extend the reach of what NAS can do: achieve higher performance, support larger configurations and deliver better utilization - all at a lower cost."
Celerra NS700 NAS Gateway
The new NS700G NAS gateway allows customers to easily and cost-effectively integrate enterprise NAS functionality into existing CLARiiON CX and Symmetrix storage environments. The NS700G is available in single or dual Data Mover configurations and offers 33% better price/performance than the NS600G. Customers may upgrade to the NS700G's superior price/performance through a simple controller swap.
Celerra NS700 Integrated NAS
The new NS700 integrated NAS system is the only integrated NAS product that protects customer investment by offering an upgrade path to a gateway configuration. The NS700 is product of choice for customers who want enterprise-class NAS capabilities packaged for specific applications, departments or locations.
The NS700 leads the industry in price/performance*:
- 33% better performance than the NS600
- 22% better price/performance at a 21% lower price than the Network Appliance FAS940c
- 19% better price/performance at a 43% lower price than the Network Appliance FAS960c
OSF Healthcare System, an integrated network of seven healthcare facilities in Illinois and Michigan, uses EMC's NAS gateway for mid-tier file sharing as part of its information lifecycle management strategy. The organization's 80TB EMC infrastructure spans four tiers of categorized data, resulting in major storage cost savings and improved information availability.
Jim Doedtman, OSF's Technical Planning Manager, said, "EMC's NAS gateway combined with the CLARiiON CX provides a very flexible, cost-effective and easy way to manage our NAS and SAN storage. With the NAS gateway, we can tier our NAS storage across our Fibre and ATA disk within the CLARiiON CX to provide different levels of storage cost, performance and availability. Our storage provisioning is very efficient and overall management is minimal. Plus, the EMC NAS gateway has allowed us to maintain our storage administrative staffing levels even as our storage requirements double each year."
According to Charles King, Research Director, N.A. for the Sageza Group, Inc., "EMC continues to execute on its NAS strategy. We believe the gateway market is growing, and that EMC's new NS700G is on the mark. With the NS700G supporting CLARiiON and Symmetrix, an even broader set of customers can easily and cost-effectively bring NAS into their business environments and take better advantage of existing SAN investments."
Price and Availability
All products announced today are generally available. U.S. list prices are $63,600 for a single Data Mover NS700G and $137,500 for a single Data Mover NS700 (2TB configuration). All prices include CIFS protocol, SnapSure software, Web Manager and warranty (two-year hardware, 90-day software).
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world leader in products, services and solutions for information storage and management that help organizations extract the maximum value from their information, at the lowest total cost, across every point in the information lifecycle. Information about EMC's products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
*Based on NS700 NFS OPS and estimated Network Appliance list price. All NFS OPS results reported above have been measured by EMC.