New EMC Atmos 2.0 Now Available
Service Providers and Enterprises Worldwide Can Efficiently Store, Manage and Build Globally Distributed Cloud Storage Environments for Big Data
- Atmos 2.0 software provides customers with powerful and efficient management of globally distributed big data and cloud storage environments—5X faster and 65% more efficient than previous Atmos offering.
- EMC Atmos GeoParity, a feature of EMC Atmos 2.0, efficiently protects globally distributed cloud storage environments.
- EMC Atmos GeoDrive software provides Windows users and applications with transparent access to the cloud—in less than a minute.
HOPKINTON, MA—June 30, 2011—EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced EMC Atmos 2.0 and EMC Atmos GeoDrive software are now generally available and shipping. Atmos 2.0 (with its EMC Atmos GeoParity feature)—provides customers with powerful and efficient management of globally distributed big data and cloud storage environments—now 5X faster and 65% more efficient than previous offering.
EMC is now shipping new features that help customers better manage big data and object storage:
- Stores object segments rather than entire objects across distributed storage environments for unmatched protection. For example, customers using the EMC Atmos GeoParity feature of EMC Atmos 2.0 in production today are realizing a 65% efficiency improvement across 4-site Atmos deployments, resulting in a significant reduction in cost to serve.
- Provides transparent access to the cloud. The new EMC Atmos GeoDrive is a secure and fast way for Windows users and applications to gain cloud access. The new software enables customers to simply install, and in a matter of minutes, transparently begin moving data to the cloud.
“Ninefold is the first to provide Australian-based ‘pay-for-what-you-use’ public cloud storage,” said Peter James, Managing Director at Ninefold. “Since Ninefold launched earlier this year, a popular request from customers has been an effective user interface to make cloud storage file management and backup easier and more practical. EMC Atmos GeoDrive will allow simple file drag and drop from the desktop into the Ninefold cloud storage service—proving that EMC is listening and that we made the right decision in working with them.”
EMC Atmos manages information for content-rich high-scale infrastructures and cloud service provider environments. Its flexible architecture adapts easily to run in virtualized environments, or within an EMC purpose-built, low-cost, high-density hardware system.
“Today we’re delivering customers a solution to efficiently and cost-effectively manage and protect globally distributed big data and cloud storage environments—accelerating both service provider and enterprises ability to exploit the cloud,” said Mike Feinberg, General Manager and Senior Vice President of the Cloud Infrastructure Group at EMC.
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.