EMC Introduces New EMC CLARiiON CX4 Series with Next Generation Architecture
HOPKINTON, Mass. — August 5, 2008 — EMC Corporation, the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today unveiled the new EMC® CLARiiON® CX4 Series of midrange storage systems. With a new architecture specifically optimized for VMware and other virtual server environments and designed to incorporate the latest technologies in drives, connectivity, processing power, thin provisioning and security, EMC is making it easier than ever to cost-effectively consolidate and manage information using the least amount of energy.
The CLARiiON CX4 Series is the latest generation of the market-leading CLARiiON family of networked storage systems, with more than 300,000 systems installed and a midrange storage leading benchmark of "Five 9's" of availability—99.999 percent uptime. With data growing at nearly 60 percent annually and information technology managers facing increased energy costs and tighter budgets, the new CLARiiON CX4 Series has a multitude of new features built-in that are ideal for virtual server environments—including VMware infrastructure—use less energy, improve storage utilization, performance and management and protect the overall storage investment. These include:
- Up to twice the performance, twice the capacity, twice the memory and twice the number of LUNs (logical unit numbers) of previous generations, enabling support of multiple application tiers on a single CLARiiON CX4 array. This is the result of a new 64 bit EMC CLARiiON FLARE® storage operating environment utilizing multi-core Intel processors that improve performance and double system scalability (up to 960 drives) for improved consolidation.
- The ability to support dual-protocol Fibre Channel and iSCSI storage area network (SAN) connections with online expansion, a unique feature in the market. EMC's new UltraFlex™ technology also enables the CLARiiON CX4 Series to easily and non-disruptively incorporate future connectivity technologies such as 8Gb/s Fibre Channel, 10Gb/s iSCSI and FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet). In addition, the CLARiiON CX4 Series with UltraFlex helps extend the flexibility of VMware environments by now enabling the dynamic addition of I/O ports—along with storage capacity and performance—to the virtual infrastructure.
- Being the first midrange storage array in the market to support state-of-the-art solid state disks (SSDs), which are more than 30 times faster than traditional drives, deliver sub-millisecond response times and are 98 percent more energy efficient on an IOPs (Input/Output operations Per Second) basis. The addition of flash drives to the CLARiiON CX4 Series provides the highest levels of performance for "tier 0" storage requirements. Earlier this year, EMC became the first enterprise storage vendor to incorporate SSDs into its core portfolio with the introduction of flash technology in its high-end Symmetrix® DMX Series.
- Virtual (thin) provisioning capabilities that increase system utilization and simplify the provisioning of storage by allowing administrators to present an application with more capacity than is physically allocated. With new CLARiiON Virtual Provisioning, capacity can be quickly and easily allocated for physical, VMware and other virtual servers while monitoring features and automated alerts allow storage pools to be expanded online. EMC first introduced its virtual provisioning capabilities on the EMC Celerra® family of IP (internet protocol) storage systems.
- Built-in disk spin down capabilities that will automatically place inactive drives in sleep mode and activate on demand to save energy. This policy-based feature—which EMC first offered in its EMC Disk Library virtual tape systems—is designed for applications that have regular spans of time with little or no activity.
- An adaptive cooling design and support for new low power one terabyte SATA disk drives that maximize energy efficiency. With this new design, the amount of energy used to cool the system can be significantly reduced as cooling fans vary speeds as needed to maintain the proper temperature. The new low power drives, which spin at a slower RPM, use 32 percent less energy per terabyte than traditional SATA drives.
- Integration with VMware Site Recovery Manager to form a simple, turnkey solution for VMware disaster recovery. In addition, the CLARiiON CX4 Series features new integrated continuous local and remote replication (CLR) features for EMC RecoverPoint/SE software that simplify deployment in both Fibre Channel and iSCSI environments and optimize bandwidth.
- Integration with the RSA enVision® platform to provide a comprehensive, automated approach for the management of event data, maximize an organization's security posture and simplify compliance. The CLARiiON CX4 Series is also integrated with EMC PowerPath® path management software with encryption and key management technology from RSA, which can encrypt and decrypt data at the host as it is sent to and from the array.
Forsyth County, which encompasses the Winston-Salem area of North Carolina, beta tested and is implementing an EMC CLARiiON CX4 storage system as part of a virtualized information infrastructure that provides services to more than 330,000 citizens.
Rob Robinson, CIO Forsyth County, said, "The residents of eight cities and towns in the county count on us to make a wide range of information available 7x24, and we needed an affordable storage system that could grow with us while providing the highest levels of availability, performance and energy efficiency. The CLARiiON CX4 storage system brought together all of the features we were looking for into a single system that will support our VMware environment serving more than 24 departments and agencies using a range of applications."
Robinson added, "Setting the new CLARiiON CX4 system up and managing it was simple, and we immediately saw the faster performance, which is especially critical for online human services and public safety applications. In addition, we're protecting the taxpayer's investment because our CLARiiON CX4 can be easily upgraded to support future technologies that will enable our IT organization to continue to offer leading information services to the citizens of our communities."
Mark Peters, an analyst with Enterprise Strategy Group, said, "With this new CLARiiON, EMC is continuing to press hard to address some of the most crucial cost and management challenges faced by storage and IT managers. To achieve that, the CLARiiON CX4 has technical advances on so many fronts simultaneously that it's hard to find much that is missing. The CLARiiON CX4's new design and built-in features, including flash drives, are delivered in a highly modular system that can be customized for midrange users' precise needs. As an incumbent market leader, EMC faces a bar that continually gets set higher, yet the CLARiiON CX4 seems to have cleared the latest height. Overall this is an extremely well thought-out package from EMC."
The CLARiiON CX4 Series is comprised of four models, which are supported by all CLARiiON management and replication software including EMC Navisphere® Management Suite, EMC MirrorView™, EMC SnapView™, EMC SAN Copy™ and other software. The new models include:
- CLARiiON CX4-120, which features up to 120 disk drives for a total capacity of 120 TB (terabytes), 6 GB (gigabytes) of system memory and up to12 Fibre Channel and/or 8 iSCSI ports.
- CLARiiON CX4-240, which features up to 240 disk drives for a total capacity of 231 TB, 8 GB of system memory and up to 12 Fibre Channel and/or 12 iSCSI ports.
- CLARiiON CX4-480, which features up to 480 disk drives including SSDs for a total capacity of 471 TB, 16 GB of system memory and up to 16 Fibre Channel and/or 12 iSCSI ports.
- CLARiiON CX4-960, which features up to 960 disk drives including SSDs for a total capacity of 951 TB, 32 GB of system memory and up to 24 Fibre Channel and/or 16 iSCSI ports.
David Donatelli, President of the EMC Storage Division, said, "EMC is continuing to use its significant resources and talent to incorporate the innovative features that our customers require into a single, scalable and easy-to-use midrange platform. We are again pioneering the use of flash drives, this time in midrange storage, and have designed these systems to take full advantage of server virtualization technology. The CLARiiON CX4 Series is unmatched in the industry when it comes to scalability, features, energy efficiency and ease of use. With this next generation of systems, we've extended our technology leadership and have widened the competitive gap even further."
The CLARiiON CX4 Series is generally available worldwide from EMC, its Velocity2 Program Partners and Velocity2 Authorized Services Network (ASN) Partners. It is also being offered by Dell under the Dell/EMC brand and Fujitsu Siemens Computers under the FibreCat brand. Flash drive and virtual provisioning capabilities will be available in October 2008. Drive spin-down is available for EMC Disk Library today; additional general-purpose applications will be supported as they are qualified into 2009.
The CLARiiON CX4 Series supports both Fibre Channel and iSCSI
The EMC CLARiiON CX4-960 features up to 960 disk drives including new flash SSDs
The EMC CLARiiON CX4-120 supports up to 120, 1TB disk drives
Dave Donatelli, President, EMC Storage Division
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world's leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC's products and services can be found at www.EMC.com
What Partners are Saying about the CLARiiON CX4 Series
"Arrow ECS is pleased to offer the CLARiiON CX4 systems to our partners as a solution for integrating VMware environments with storage systems. The CLARiiON CX4 will enable our partners to solve their customers' data consolidation challenges and security issues, all with one system," said Sean Kerins, vice president of the Storage Group for Arrow Enterprise Computing Solutions, a business segment of Arrow Electronics Inc.
"No matter what their size, no business or organization can afford to lose information. The new EMC CLARiiON CX4 system provides partners with solutions that are both highly available and offer a range of data protection features that can be easily deployed and managed. This flexibility allows partners to build better solutions for their clients and ultimately provides them with a high degree of confidence in their infrastructure, ensuring their information will be there when they need it," said Shaun Shuler, EMC sales director, Avnet Technology Solutions.
"At CDW, we put a lot of time and energy into developing solutions that help customers get the most value at the lowest possible cost. The EMC CLARiiON CX4 Series, with its ability to tier applications within an array, consolidate multiple systems into one and virtually provision storage, gives us tremendous flexibility in this area and is a key component of our overall solutions. These systems are also ready for future networking technologies, which makes them ideal for our customers who want to make sure their investment is protected," said James Rankin, Senior Technology Consultant, CDW.
"Energy efficient solutions have emerged as a new point of value for our channel partners and are becoming an industry standard for IT manufacturers, especially those targeting the mid-market and enterprise. As one of the primary distributors for the EMC CLARiiON CX4 Series, we are providing our solution provider partners access to an impressive line of energy-smart solutions that work to reduce power consumption without compromising scalability, performance and availability," said Scott Look, vice president of Ingram Micro's Infrastructure Technology Solutions Division, North America.
"Unisys specializes in solutions for a real-time infrastructure that enables clients to respond immediately to dynamic changes in their business. The EMC CLARiiON CX4 provides exceptional flexibility for storage in that environment. It easily accommodates future technology by adding or upgrading I/O modules. Plus, its capability to mix and match Fibre Channel and iSCSI makes it unusually easy to expand the system online as a client's business requirements change." said Chris Gale Data Management Marketing Director, Unisys.
CX4 Customer Video
Save energy with CX4's new power-saving technologies
CLARiiON CX4 makes provisioning storage easy